FEFY Overnight Youth Soaring Camp Scholarships
The Sugarbush Soaring Overnight Youth Soaring Camp (YSC) is a week-long flight training program for youth ages 13 through 18. The camp includes ten flights, meals, ground school, a visit to Burlington Tower facilities, swimming, kayaking, supervised overnight camping on the airfield and other fun activities.
During the 2019 season, Sugarbush Soaring is planning to hold three camps:
- Camp 1: July 7-13
- Camp 2: July 21-27
- Camp 3: August 4-10
FEFY is offering two YSC scholarships for the 2019 season. Each scholarship will cover the full cost of tuition (a value of $2600). One is the Luke Hammer Memorial Scholarship, which is for youth from Vermont. The second scholarship is open to all eligible applicants. The application process (described below) is the same for both scholarships.
The 2019 YSC scholarship application period will run from December 15, 2018 to February 15, 2019. The two scholarships will be awarded no later than March 31, 2019.
|Luke Hammer was the recipient of the 2011 overnight YSC scholarship. He enjoyed the soaring camp so much that he joined our Line Crew, which he participated in for four years. He did an excellent job running the line and served as Line Crew Chief from 2012-2014. He also excelled at flying, earning his Private Pilot glider certificate and progressing into our high performance gliders, eventually soloing in the PW-6. Luke passed away unexpectedly in 2014. Luke’s family and friends set up a memorial fund with FEFY to honor Luke’s life and open up similar opportunities for youth like Luke who have a strong passion for aviation.|
- Age 13 to 18
- Maturity, interest in aviation, willingness to learn, sense of adventure
- Availability (must be able to attend at least one of the camps listed above)
- Due to restrictions on the amount of weight our aircraft can safely carry (based on FAA regulations), we can only accomodate campers that weigh less than 243 lbs
- Flights must be taken at Sugarbush Soaring
To apply, complete and submit the following three items by February 15, 2019:
- Online form
- Applicant questionnaire (note: the questions must be answered by the applicant, not a parent). Email it to fefy‑email@example.com.
- Recommendation form, which should be completed by a teacher or mentor outside of Sugarbush Soaring. Email it to fefy‑firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the online form (item #1) first. It is short and should only take a few minutes. Applicants can send in the questionnaire and recommendation form whenever they are ready (they do not need to be submitted at the same time).
Depending on how many applications we receive, finalists may be asked to participate in an interview (either in-person or via phone).
The YSC scholarships are funded by charitable contributions to FEFY (a 501(c)(3)).
|Danny Burns was a recipient of a 2018 FEFY Youth Soaring Camp Scholarship. During camp, he soloed for the first time in the SGS 2-33. Danny is a member of the Sugarbush Soaring Line Crew.|